Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

If the world stopped buying ivory...

maybe this would stop elephant poaching! If there was no demand maybe these animals lives would not be killed so that their tusks could be cut from their carcass and sold on the black market. I know this is a very narrow view and there are a variety of factors affecting this situation, but I think a case of supply and demand. I can't think off the top of my head of any special need for ivory. It is not used to save lives or stop wars!

1 comment:

architart said...

I have a gorgeous necklace made up of beads that are hand carved in Asian motifs. It was given to me when I was a child and I loved the necklace but recently discovered that it wasn't stone but ivory. I am too appalled to wear it ever again. Ivory is precious here in Asia like diamonds are precious in Western countries. We all know about blood diamonds but everyone is too diamond-mad to care that much when buying their own diamond. No one wants people to die in Africa over their beautiful ring like no one wants an elephant to be poached but in the end we think that our one transgression isn't going to make a difference when in fact it does. It's a shame that vanity wins over humanity.